Monday, April 18, 2011

The Boots of Summer



In other places in the country, this would probably be considered a fashion faux pas. However, thankfully by the grace of God we live in the South. Special exceptions can be made when it comes to boots outside Father Winter's grasp.

I know I've been the main one banging on about how excited I was to wear sandals again now that the weather is finally cooperating with me, but I realized this weekend, I was not quite ready to put away my boots as I thought I was. I've recently found myself slipping on those brown leather wonder-boots with a pair of shorts. Then again the next day with a floaty dress. The effect is always a juxtaposition.

On top, a feminine, delicate effect that softly shows the proper curves with girly colors that make our skin glow. On the bottom, a tough, masculine effect with stitching and buckles to add a touch of badassery to the outfit.

Sugar and Spice make everything nice and all that jazz.

It also rings of easy bohemian, which I always strive for, personally.

Another pro factor with boots and dresses is that it helps you save some money. Who doesn't love that? Instead of buying sandal after sandal to make sure something always matches your outfit, effectively blowing your summer budget before summer is even officially here. You can, instead, swap out what you have with your boots, making it easier to save up for that more expensive, fabulous pair of sandals you have been drooling over forever.

On the flip side, there can be ways of taking it too far that make you look like you're trying too hard or you just don't know what the high is supposed to be that day.

First and foremost, don't layer heavily when you're wearing boots with a dress or shorts. I understand the natural need to balance out your outfit, but you and I both know you'll never be comfortable with leather boots on the bottom, a shirt, vest, hat, and a gaggle of necklaces, rings and bracelets on the top. I'm sweating just thinking about it and I'm sitting on top of a vent as I type this.

Secondly, try to avoid boots during the day during the month of July or one of those record breaking days. No matter what you wear on top, within an hour your feet will be sweating and sweating feet lead to funky feet and, I do believe I may speak for all when I say, nobody likes that.

But you should know that. Why? Because we're Southerners and it's not like I'm preaching something newfangled. We've been doing this since forever. It's a part of our Southern grace and style. Like sweet tea and seersucker.

No comments:

Post a Comment